Thursday, March 27, 2008

Things to talk about with Katherine

I had two posts of things that I wanted to talk to Katherine about and things I wanted to ask her about but I deleted both to make this one. More organized and whatnot...

So first of all - Birth Plan things that I KNOW for sure:

  • Clayton and Maddox positively in the room.
  • Other "guests" allowed in will be me my mother, sister, and Jess (for pictures).
  • Basically want to try any birthing techniques that she can recommend - anything besides sitting/laying in bed. And no restrictions on movement, etc.
  • Would like to be able to have both photographs and film done and be able to play music. Probably Laurie Berkner for Maddox LOL
  • No IV, no pain meds, no pitocin. I want NO medications if I do not need to have any.
  • Monitoring to be External, Intermittently.
  • I do NOT want to give birth on my back.
  • No episiotomy.
  • I'd like to push when I feel the urge, but would like coaching. Want the baby to be born on it's own - no pulling the baby out.
  • Clayton to catch the baby if he wants to.
  • I'd like the baby to be places on me immediately, skin-to-skin contact with warm blanket, no separation, postpone procedures till after bonding and breastfeeding, and I'd like to breastfeed before the placenta is out.
  • Cord to stop pulsating before clamping and cutting.
  • Clayton to cut the cord if he wants to.
  • I'd like the placenta to come out on it's own.
  • Procedures performed in front of Clayton and/or I.
  • Clayton to be with baby if there are any complications.
  • No in hospital immunizations (if they are done).
  • No bathing the baby.
  • No formula, sugar water, pacifiers, or artificial nipples.
  • Room in, no separation (unless I ask for it).
Things I'd like to get more information on:

  • Birthing equipment
  • Labor & Delivery positions
  • Eye Drops - why would my baby need them?
  • Vitamin K - Injection vs Orally, why does my baby need it?
  • What can we do (without medical intervention) if my labor stalls?
  • Can you run out of amniotic fluid, how long can I safely labor after my water breaks, will I NEED pitocin if it's been too long - how long is too long?
  • Will you be at the hospital for all of my labor?
  • How likely is it that you deliver my baby?
  • Will my nurses be regular hospital nurses?
  • What kind of emergencies can you handle, when would an OB/GYN be called in?
I think that is it. Of course I might think of other stuff, but for now, that's it. I'll have to print this out before my next appointment and bombard my midwife! At least she's a midwife, she might think I'm a little less crazy than an OB/GYN would!

No comments:

Post a Comment