Saturday, March 22, 2008

3 Hour Glucose

Had my 3 hour glucose test this morning. We went into the hospital and I got my first blood draw (a whole flipping vile each time!) down around 8AM and drank the solution (that was worse than the orange stuff from the 1 hour) around 8:15AM. Clayton and I had to sit in a waiting area for 3 hours and I went back to the lab every hour (9:15, 10:15, and 11:15) to have my blood drawn. Twice from the same vein in each arm and I now look like I shoot up. The second time in each arm hurt. I'm a pro at having my blood taken. It never hurts even a bit, but the second time around on each arm was not fun. The right arm, she tried to take from a different vein the second time around but couldn't get any blood out of it. She dug in and out, turning from side to side and digging, almost the entire needle, into my arm. Then she had to try again and did so from the same vein they took from the first time they did my right arm. My right arm actually has a track mark on it about 1/4 inch long.

I won't be getting any results back until at least Monday. Hopefully Katherine will call me Monday to let me know whether or not I passed. The chick in the lab said the results would be faxed over to Katherine's office within a couple hours, but Katherine is only in the office Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

The sugar drink did not make Faye super hyper. Didn't really slow her down much either. I was incredibly tired though. My system just crashed and I could barely keep awake for the 3 hours. I tried really hard to read a book. I did pretty good considering!

Clayton and I ate at McDonald's afterwards. I was starving because I hadn't had anything to eat in 15 hours. Clayton didn't either, but he didn't have to drink that horrible drink! I ate some fries, at a horribly greasy double cheeseburger (YUCK at the grease) and had to walk, briskly, to the restroom because I thought I was going to vomit. Several moments of severe nausea and "bad water" (as Maddox would say), I got 3 really good burps out, with out puking, and then I seemed to be OK! I'm sure that fasting, sugar drink, and trapping air in my stomach by slamming greasy McDonald's was definitely the cause! I was almost freaking out that Maddox (the poor boy) might have gotten me sick again!

But that's all for now and I'll update again soon! Most likely when I get my test results back!

No comments:

Post a Comment