Thursday, February 28, 2008

Frustrated

I'm feeling frustrated with Maddox's doctor "appointment" yesterday. The guy listened to his chest and back, looked in his ears, looked at his throat, and said he was fine. They did a white blood cell count and the doctor said "his white blood cell count looks almost perfect". So what is almost perfect? Not perfect? You don't think he really has anything so you don't want to look into it further? Or there is some type of "range" that he is in?

He was just going to send us home and I said "so is there anything I can do about his eyes to make him feel better" and he admitted he completely forgot about his eyes. He never checked them and just wrote out an Rx for an antibiotic eye drop. Three times a day until they are clear and then for 24 more hours after that. The first dose made them worse, the second dose made them worse. He woke up with less goop but redder eyes. The third and fourth dose (so far) has not made any immediate changes. No more goop, which is fantastic, but his eyes are even redder than before. So it seems like they are getting better and maybe his eyes need to get redder before they get better?

But - his cough is terrible and very mucusy and that plus his laryngitis sounding voice makes it sound like he has bronchitis. He's having a hard time breathing (fast & shallow) and his temp is up to 103.0. Maddox's normal temp is between 98.6-98.7. His low grade fever is usually between 99.3-100.4. His cold fever is around 101.4 at the highest. The very highest. So what is up with this 103.0 crap. The doc said he'd have a low grade temp in the day and not to be surprised if his temp shot up again at night (even though I read that your temp gets lower between midnight & early morning which is when he had his 104.4 temp).

I don't know what to think. I know he's sick. I know he feels miserable. He's got the chills, body aches, bloodshot & burning eyes, a fever, mucusy cough, and a squeaky, crackly voice. Loss of appetite even though he hasn't thrown up for days (except once on Tuesday). Personally, it sounds like Pneumonia - especially with the 12 hours of vomiting and some diarrhea and the high fevers. But maybe I am just paranoid? You cannot stop thinking about it constantly when your baby is sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment