It seems Faye is the one getting hit this season. Croup again this season and now a massive ear infection. Of course, really, she's been more fortunate than Maddox. She's had croup twice, this one ear infection, and very minor run in with the flu and a few very small colds... mostly just nasal drainage.
Faye got a stuffy nose [maybe] over the weekend. Poor thing has not been able to breath out of her nose at all. She sounds nasal-y when she talks. I don't think she has ever been this stuffed up in her little life.
Last night she was tossing and turning and crying all night long. Around 11pm I finally figured out it was her ear (she finally said). We were up pretty much all night. I gave her some Ibuprofen at 11 and that helped a little. I started out thinking it was pretty minor, but by the early morning hours, I was convinced that she was in quite a bit of pain. At about 5:45am, I grabbed my phone to check the hours of minute clinic. It was hard not to wake Clayton up that minute to tell him that we were going to have to bring her in. I managed to wait until 6:33am! Minute Clinic opens up at 8:30am, so we were out of the house at 8:14. Grabbed some Caribou and got to CVS and signed into Minute Clinic by 8:27. Strangely, we were beat there and the not-yet-open clinic was already attending to another patient! We only had to wait 20 min after the schedule opening to get in.
Faye is pretty much FILLED with snot. Poor thing is swollen all over with filled sinus and and bulging ear drums. Her right ear (the one that had been bothering her) got an 'oh my!' The doctor said it was likely that Faye's ear drum would burst. It actually didn't. At least not to my knowledge. She's on antibiotics (she was just so infected and in so much pain, I didn't feel like not getting antibiotics was a good choice). We also got her some benzocaine drops. I was completely undecided, but took them just-in-case and only after an hour of being home, I had to put them in. She was rolling around on the living room floor, gripping her ear and crying and whimpering. It was very sad.
After that and some more pain killers, she was attached to me. I didn't think I was going to be able to make lunch, help Maddox get ready for school, etc. I almost thought about calling Maddox in because Faye was so miserable. I was wishing for a sudden snow day.
She ended up passing out on my chest and I was able to lay her down. She slept for 2 hours. She generally doesn't take naps during the day. Regardless of giving her Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen all day, she still kept a near 103 temp all day. She isn't one for fevers. The two times she had croup, yes, but she never rose over 99.9 the time she had the flu!
She has been pleasant today, but not terribly active. We've been reading books and smuggling all day. She insisted on taking a shower, so we did. She screams bloody murder when people get water on her eyes, so she's dirtier than when she went in. I just didn't have the heart to torture the poor girl.
Hopefully tomorrow she will feel better. Amoxicillin, Ibuprofen, and ear drops in before bed. Hopefully tonight will be a much better night.

No comments:
Post a Comment