Friday, February 4, 2011

Maddox's Crush!

Maddox started Kindergarten this past fall and it has resulted in a lot of "big boy" behaviors.  One being embarrassment over liking (and not liking) girls.  He started to think that kissing is gross and any time we'd ask him if he thought any girls were cute, he would yell no, act mad (with a silly little grin on his face) and hide his face behind something.  It was pretty cute and we teased him a lot by asking him.  Maddox and his Dad like to play a PS3 game called Castle Crashers and occasionally the two characters would have to fight each other and winning resulted in having to kiss a princess.  That was pretty funny too.

Maddox started riding the bus once it got a bit colder out and on his bus is a girl named Kelsey.  I believe she is in 1st or 2nd grade.  At first it just started out to be, what seemed like, a bullying situation.  I was hearing a lot about how Beau (a boy from his class) wouldn't let him sit next to her.  Maddox said that Kelsey was Beau older sister, but now he denies that.  I'm not sure it its untrue or if he just forgot.  Sometimes Beau would sit by Kelsey and tell Maddox he couldn't sit there.  Sometimes Kelsey would tell Maddox she was going to sit by him and then change her mind (ugh, girls!).  All of that kind of fizzled out, but for months Maddox has been getting off the bus telling me not who he sat by, but if he did or did not sit by Kelsey and why.  Sometimes he sat by Kelsey, sometimes Kelsey sat by someone else, sometimes Kelsey wanted to sit by him but the seat was too full.

It didn't hit me until last week.  I've kind of asked him if he likes Kelsey, if she's nice, just vague questions, trying not to make my newly 6 year old son clam up.  But last week he came bouncing off the bus telling me that Kelsey ASKED HIM to sit by her!  Just the two of them.  He was excited!

Today, he got off of the bus saying "I didn't sit by Kelsey.  She was going to sit by Calia (a girl from Maddox's class), but she sat in front of Calia.  I sat in seat 4 or 5 with Jimmy and Nick."  (Both kids are in his class, Jimmy is at his morning bus stop).  I decided to ask Maddox "What do you think about Kelsey?" and he replied "Well, it's hard to explain..."  I asked him if she was cute or pretty (she is a very cute little girl!)  And again he replied that it was hard to explain.  He says "but I still want to sit next to her."

As he got off the bus today, Kelsey was snuggled into her seat and Maddox said goodbye.  She jumped up right and gave him a frantic little wave and goodbye and cuddled back into her seat.

Maddox says that he and Jimmy try so hard to sit by Kelsey, so it sounds like he has some competition (*snickers*)!  My kid is way cuter, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment