Thursday, March 3, 2011

I KNOW that she is "Normal".

With children, "Normal" has a million variations.  I know that my daughter, Faye is normal, but I ask myself a lot, "what on earth is wrong with this child?"  I love her dearly and would never change a single thing about her, but I'd pay you a hefty million to know what goes through this kids mind on a day-to-day basis.

We've been working on potty training since Wed, February 23rd.  It was not planned, Faye has been having rash issues because she refuses to let me change her diapers.  Wednesday evening, Faye came into the kitchen on her tiptoes, in a squatting walk, like she'd been riding horse all day and begged me to change her.  I put her in underwear for the evening, changed her bed linens to waterproof and she's been in undies ever since. 

We started out with your basic potty training stuff, about 2 accidents a day.  She stayed dry every single night.  She pooped in her undies once, she went in her little potty once without any guidance, she pooped in the big potty once with my encouragement. 

Then we started going down hill.  We've had 3 other poop accidents.  This is frustrating because she KNOWS when she has to go.  We've had a lot of resistance with sitting on any potty.  Fits and tantrums, begging to wear a diaper.  We have two options.  The first, she continues with potty training and successfully learns and practices this ability.  The second being she cries and begs for a diaper for days in a row and we decide to try again at another time.  If she isn't constantly throwing tantrums for a diaper, we stick with #1.

Things started to look up the other day, Monday, when her butt did not leave the potty.  She just sat there for half a day, peeing in her potty.  Then came Tuesday.  Accidents and resistance and she pee'd on me and told me that she wanted to do it again.  She also woke up at midnight with wet PJs.  The first time she had wet her bed with 6 previous nights being dry.  Wednesday was another light.  She was wearing clothes, pulling her pants down, peeing, pulling back up, etc.  She didn't wipe, but I was letting that go!  As long as she was taking care of everything else, I was ok with not wiping, for now.  She did really well all day.  Just one accident; she sat down to go potty but forgot to pull down her underwear.

Now there's today...  She wet the bed last night around 10-11pm, then I woke to a wet bed this morning.  She wet the bed twice in one night.  Her second night in a row.  The next time she had to go, she sat on her potty and proclaimed, with arms crossed across her chest "I'm going to pee in my pajamas!"  I told her that if she pee'd in her clothes that she would not be getting any princess fruit snacks or any other treats.  She said fine and pulled her pants down to go.  She did pee in her potty a couple times, but she threatened to pee ON hr brother and then later this afternoon, she, again, sat on her potty with arms crossed and said she was going to pee in her pajamas.  When I went to tell her that was not OK, she announced "I'm not listening to you!" and proceeded to pee in her clothing.  I sent her in the bathroom to take her clothes off, she went in but didn't take them off.  She told me she couldn't.  I asked her if she pooped in her underwear (it smelled like it) and she got angry with me and told me she did not.  Of course, she DID poop in there...

Now that she is all cleaned up and she is not getting any treats for the day, she claims she is going to go in her potty and NOT in her clothing.

I need to come up with a different incentive program for her.  A calendar progress report?  An accumulative treat jar?  I don't know.  She's perfectly capable of going in the potty and going without being told to or asked, however she is randomly resistant with ALL techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment