Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mama has Strep Throat

I woke on Sunday with a sore throat.  It wasn't too terrible, but I decided I didn't want to go to church because I am still not better from the original junk plus I was tired, had the sore throat, and a headache.

I woke up on Monday and felt miserable.  I knew I had to have something.  I get sore throats all the time, but nothing quite like this and my right gland under my chin was the size of a meatballs and sore!  By Monday night, I had decided I wanted to go in to the doctor the next day.  Tuesday morning I woke up and wanted to beg Clayton into bringing me in right away in the morning.  I tried to be hinty about it, but he didn't want to go before work and I felt guilty begging.

I went into the minute clinic with swollen glands all over the place, white spots on my fire red throat, the right side of the back wall of my throat puffy and lopsided.  The doctor did a rapid strep test, but that came back negative.  She still gave me antibiotics because between all of that stuff, a fever, headache, the sinus infection that I had the week before and the fact that our original colds were more than likely Influenza, I wasn't getting better and something was obviously going on.

It took me by complete surprise that the strep test came back negative.  If this wasn't strep, I would never, ever, ever want to get strep!  The antibiotics started working over night and Ibuprofen is extremely helpful too.  Between the two, my biggest issue is that I cannot have Caribou because anything chocolate hurts REALLY bad!

A doctor at the minute clinic called a short while ago to let me know that I do have strep.  The lab test came back positive.  Fortunately, the lovely doctor that I saw on Tuesday night already started me on antibiotics, so I'm good to go!

While I was at the minute clinic, I talked to the doctor about Faye's ear.  Her drainage used to be a drippy, clear, dark yellow color and it had switched to a sticky, pale green another like discharge that was pooling in her ear instead of coming out.  The doc said it would be best to bring her in, but this morning she had almost no discharge and her ear drops went in without very much stimulation (wiggling and pushing) on the outside of her ear, so I think she's good.  We'll definitely bring her in if the lack of drainage seems to be a fluke.

No comments:

Post a Comment