For the past week I have been leaking fluid.. and I was pretty sure that it was not urine... After being PG for 8 months, I think I know what it feels like, looks like, and smells like to squirt a little pee (when I sneeze, cough, etc) LOL.. But still, I spent a week second guessing myself..
After reading in the "Beginnings: Pregnancy, Birth & Beyond" book that I got at OB education "Warning Signs of Preterm Labor: change or increase in vaginal discharge and ruptured membranes (a slow leak, steady trickle, or sudden gush)" and my "change AND increase in vaginal discharge" was the addition (to my reg discharge), a slow leak of fluid.. and after looking it up online and seeing the same thing.. and then consulting my "pregnancy support group" (webmd: 3rd Tri message board).. I decided to call my doctor.
I never got a hold of him, the lady at the desk told me to go straight to Labor & Delivery.. and so I called them and they told me to come in.
I went in, was there for 2 hours. Had the "fern test" done and a non-stress test done.
Apparently, when amniotic fluid dries, it looks like a fern.. and so my results on the fern test.. as the nurse put it "the test was not conclusive but did not grow any fern"..
So pretty much her answer to my "am I leaking amniotic fluid?" question would be "I don't know".
And the non-stress test.. Maddox wasn't moving as much as they wanted him to, so they stuffed me full of grape jelly (EW!) and apple juice.. and then gave me this little thing that I had to push a button on every time he moved. They couldn't tell the difference between his movement and my cramping.. and this button put a mark on the chart whenever I pushed it.
So anyways.. At discharge, the nurse gave me a print out of the preterm labor sheet from my pregnancy book (the page that brought me into L&D in the first place) and pointed out where it said "change or increase in vaginal discharge" and on my discharge papers it says to contact my doctor or Birth Center if I have Loss of Fluid from Vagina..
BUT, I was being discharged from L&D after 2 hours of being there FOR a loss of fluid from my vagina.. and they couldn't tell me anything.. and if I were to call them when I leaked again, I would have been calling them from their parking lot.. and then again 3 times from work.. So.. I am totally confused.. and I don't see any point in calling them if they couldn't tell me anything anyways.. and I don't want to spend 2 hours every single day in L&D.. because if I am having this loss EVERY night, AND 3-4 times while I am at work, I would be calling them 5 times a day......
Unity Hosptial Sucks!
No comments:
Post a Comment