Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Girls are nothing but trouble!

I can deal with this child's attitude. Okay, well, some days it's really really hard... But all these "vagina issues" are going to make me lose it. And she's only 2 years old!

A couple months back, Faye has been complaining (yelling and crying, actually) every time I changed her diaper. When she would poop and I would have to clean the poop out from her vaginal opening, she shook and cried that it hurt. One of the days it was red, so I thought I'd keep an eye on it, but even after the irritation cleared up, she still shook in pain. I investigated and found a little flap of skin that looks like some of her vaginal tissue had torn. I FREAKED out. I took her into the doctor and they told me that is was actually just a vaginal tag and that it was very common in young girls and that Faye's was actually pretty small. We didn't really figure out what the pain was from, but the doctor suggested vaginitis, so we have just been trying to treat her very delicately, with non-irritating soaps, changing her diaper more often, etc. She hasn't complained of pain in quite awhile now.

While we were on vacation in Tennessee (over Winter Break), Maddox developed a rash over his entire torso. It spread to her neck, upper arms, ears, and cheeks. He had a fever and then he developed some blisters around his mouth. His cousin, Kaden, had been exposed to Hand, Foot, & Mouth Disease before we came down to Tennessee and a child that came to visit us, had had HFMD, so we thought he might have gotten that. It never really developed, but he ended up developing a Staph infection in two of the blisters around his mouth (Kaden also had a Staph infection in his nose). We brought him to the doctor and he got an antibiotic ointment and oral antibiotics for the staph infection. We also got a tube of 5% cortisone for his fingers and toes (the dermatitis/eczema that he's been battling since he was 2 years old).

About 2 weeks ago Faye developed a rash (very similar to Maddox's rash) on her pubic area. We let her air out in underwear and it is cleared up. It has been coming back (less severe) on and off for the past two weeks. She itches through her diaper and then two days ago, she was crying because she hurt, so before Daddy closed up her diaper, I decided to check it out again. I was looking at her and found that she had a 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch laceration separating her inner labia from her outer labia near her bottom. She was scratching a lot in the middle of the night that night. I called immediately in the morning to make an appointment for her and we saw the doctor yesterday at noon.

We rode downtown with Daddy and got downtown around 9AM. We got brunch at The Brother's Deli (never going there again. It was good, but the restaurant was a mess and the staff were not terrible friendly and were quiet unhelpful). We walked around for awhile. Maddox had developed a cough and fever the day before and was still 103 all day yesterday, but insisted on walking around (slowly) instead of finding a place to rest until we needed to take the bus to the doctors office. The poor kid felt miserable and we ended up going to the fountain right outside of Pacifier at Gaviidea Commons and he knelt down and laid his head on the edge and just stared into the water for 10 minutes. After that we left to go to the bus stop. Hopped on the bus and got to the doctors office 30 minutes before Faye's appointment.

It did us good getting there early because we got into the office 10 minutes before her appointment and saw the doctor right on schedule. The doctor did not address the rash/itching issue, but said that her cut could either be from her scratching (which is doubtful as she only has scratched over her diaper) or from injuring herself from jumping around naked or with just undies on. I still don't really know what to think about it. She said to put an antibiotic ointment on the cut and aquaphor over that. She was able to look up Maddox's antibiotic ointment prescription and said we could use that, so we didn't need to get anything else for her.

While we were there, I had them do a Flu test on Maddox. His cold & fever hit so suddenly without any other symptoms, I figured we might as well just get that out of the way in case his fever and symptoms persisted. Fortunately it was negative.

Last night, I put some of Maddox's antibiotic ointment and aquaphor on her cut and on the rashy bumps that she has and this morning when I changed her diaper, the spots were almost cleaned up. Her cut actually looks better. I'm kind of wondering if she somehow managed to get staph in her diaper? Hopefully this all clears up very soon.

NO MORE VAGINA ISSUES!

No comments:

Post a Comment